Heart FailurePosted on Jan 31 2018
HEART FAILURE: often known as “congestive heart failure”; occurs when your heart muscle does not pump blood as well as it should.
CONDITIONS LEADING TO AND/OR WORSENING HEART FAILURE:
- Coronary heart disease (narrowing of the arteries in your heart) and/or a heart attack
- High blood pressure
- Alcohol & tobacco abuse
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF HEART FAILURE:
- Shortness of breath, especially upon exertion or lying down
- Fatigue and/or weakness
- Swelling of your feet & ankles
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Unexplained weight gain
- Unexplained coughing & wheezing
- Chest pain
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE ABOVE, SEE YOUR DOCTOR RIGHT AWAY OR CALL 911 FOR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE
IF YOU’VE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH HEART FAILURE, THERE ARE MANY STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF YOUR LIFE. SOME OF THE STEPS YOUR DOCTOR MAY RECOMMEND INCLUDE:
- Enjoy a “heart-healthy” diet.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Manage stress.
- Lose weight.
- Take medication(s) as prescribed and directed by your doctor.