Diabetes in Older People: A Disease You Can ManagePosted on Feb 13 2017
By Dr. Rubin, CMO, EverCare
WHAT IS DIABETES?
- Our bodies change food that we eat into sugar (glucose).
- Insulin (produced by the pancreas) helps to process this sugar.
- Low levels of insulin is the problem causing this condition.
TYPES OF DIABETES:
- Type 1: (usually in children and young adults) body makes little or no insulin
- Type 2: (“adult onset” diabetes) factors include being overweight, inactivity, and family history
“PREDIABETES”… TIME TO TAKE ACTION!
This means that your glucose is higher than normal. However, with simple, easy measures such as proper activity and diet, your risk of developing diabetes will be lower.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOU HAVE DIABETES?
- Increased urination
- Increased hunger
- Blurred vision
- Increased thirst
- Weight gain or loss
IF YOU HAVE AT LEAST ONE OF THE ABOVE… See your doctor!
TESTS FOR DIABETES
- Glucose tests (random or fasting)
- A1C test (shows your glucose for the past 3 months)
THE GOAL IS TO KEEP DIABETES UNDER CONTROL.
Otherwise, sufferers face an increased chance of:
- heart disease, circulation problems, stroke
- kidney disease
- vision impairment and eye disease
- nerve damage
THE GOOD NEWS: WITH PROPER MANAGEMENT, SYMPTOMS CAN BE LESSENED, CONTROLLED, OR EVEN ELIMINATED!
- Take your medication(s).
- Track your glucose (and A1C) levels.
- Make healthy (and tasty!) food choices.
- Exercise! Being physically active for at least 30 minutes a day for five days a week.*
*Even if you do not have prediabetes or diabetes, moderate exercise can lessen the risk of developing it by 40 percent.
AND…WORK WITH YOUR PROVIDER!
- Check your A1C twice a year.
- Have yearly eye exams (optometrist or ophthalmologist).
- Check your kidneys yearly (urine and blood test).
- Get flu shots every year and the pneumonia vaccine.
- Check your cholesterol level.
- Care for your teeth and gums.
- Keep your skin clean and moist.
- Look at your feet for sores or infections and visit your foot doctor annually.
- Check your BP regularly.
- Reduce stress and increase relaxation.
WITH SIMPLE, EASY MANAGEMENT, YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR DIABETES AND LIVE A FULL, ACTIVE LIFE!